Our events risk management system meets legal minimum standards to keep you, your members and visitors safe. The system also helps protect the MS Society financially - and you from personal liability.
APRIL 2021 UPDATE - We've now released our tentative 'roadmap' for restarting group face-to-face activities in a staggered way.
Until further notice, the new information in the link above replaces the information below.
Events guidance during COVID
If your group is not involved in the pilot, all face-to-face activities must remain suspended.
If you are restarting or starting a new event or activity during COVID-19 this is what you will need to do:
Follow the links to access guidance and all supporting documents for each type of event you are organising.
Please be aware the documentation laid out below is NOT IN USE AT THIS TIME. The Community Networks Team will inform you when these activities can resume.
- Meetings in a member’s home
- Coach trips where vehicle and coach are hired
- Cheering points, information points and single stalls -
- Throwing powder paint
- Collections in pre-agreed premises
- Use of gazebo at third party events
Risk assessment or guidance?
Some events your group organises require you to complete a risk assessment.
The purpose of risk assessment is to:
- show all the foreseeable risks that could be found in a particular situation
- determine the level of risk
- develop control measures that can be put in place to avoid these risks
Other lower risk events are covered by our new, simplified events guidance documents.
Events guidance documents reduce the time you need to spend on risk management, whilst ensuring you can provide a safe environment for members and visitors to take part in different kinds of activities. They remove your responsibility for managing emergencies such as fire and first aid incidents.
We’ve developed a video and flowchart to help you to work out which level of risk management your event requires.
Events risk assessments
Follow the links to access risk assessments and all supporting documents for each type of event you are organising.
- Group activities requiring a risk assessment
- Formal meetings requiring a risk assessment
- Miscellaneous activities requiring a risk assessment
You must not guess the level of risk management needed - ask for help.
Email the Volunteer Support Team or call them on 0300 500 8084 (#3).
Back to our risk management system