Volunteer recognition is a key priority of our Volunteering Strategy. We want our volunteers to feel appreciated and valued for their contributions and we have a range of ways to say thank you, including our Shining Star award.
- Who deserves a Shining Star?
- How to nominate a Shining Star
- Shining Star nomination form
- What happens next?
- Need support?
We award Shining Stars to volunteers and groups of volunteers whose outstanding service and achievements exemplify the positive impact we always strive to make within our MS communities.
Here are some examples of volunteer service we award Shining Stars for:
- Making a significant difference to people living with MS
- Successfully recruiting and supporting other volunteers
- Leading or supporting an MS Society group through a challenging time
- Extraordinary fundraising
- Implementing an impactful new service, improving the quality of existing services, or delivering an exceptional quality service in a group
- Successfully leading or supporting a local or national campaign
- Introducing innovative ways of fundraising, campaigning or providing services
Any volunteer or staff member can nominate a worthy volunteer or group of volunteers to receive a Shining Star. Read our guide, How to nominate a Shining Star before you submit a nomination.
Please allow a minimum of eight weeks for your nomination to be processed.
- See our guidance on How to nominate a Shining Star
You can submit a Shining Star nomination in these ways:
Online Nomination Form
The easiest way to submit your Shining Star nomination is to complete our Shining Star Online Nomination Form. Please allow a minimum of eight weeks for your nomination to be processed.
Paper Nomination Form
MS National Centre
372 Edgware Road
Individual and group nominations
You can use either of our forms to submit a Shining Star nomination for an individual volunteer, or an outstanding group project. If you need to nominate more than 10 volunteers who have taken part in a group project, please contact our Volunteering Team.
If your group nomination is approved, each nominated volunteer will receive a Shining Star lapel pin and a certificate.
The Shining Star Panel meets every two months to consider nominations. Our Volunteering Team will contact you to let you know when your nomination is due to be considered and again when the decision has been made.
If your nomination was successful, we’ll send the lapel pin/s and certificate/s to the address you have provided and record the award on each volunteer’s record on our database.
Our Volunteering Team is here to support all our volunteers throughout their journey with us.
- Get contact details for our Volunteering Team
Back to Recognising your contributions