Click here to log in to MS Society email
- What is MS Society email?
- Who needs to use MS Society email?
- MS Society Email User Guide
- MS Society Email Technical Guide
- Data protection and MS Society email
- Upgrading your MS Society email account
- Need support?
MS Society email is one of our six online tools designed to support your group to meet our requirements. It gives your group access to a range of functions that enable you to communicate on our behalf, whilst ensuring that we comply with current data protection legislation.
We’re currently upgrading MS Society email to give your group and specific individual volunteers more ways to communicate with others, and within your team, whilst ensuring that we comply with current data protection legislation. See below for how to submit your upgrade request.
All MS Society groups have a shared MS Society email address that we want you to promote widely within your local MS community. And when you have upgraded your account, volunteers with access to your group MS Society email will also have an individual MS Society email address. You can view both inboxes and send emails from both addresses, all in one place.
- Find out more about Upgrading your MS Society email account
We want you to use MS Society email whenever you need to handle personal data. We also want you to use it when you communicate with an external organisation or person by email on our behalf. This could include local supporters, press and PR contacts, or grant making trusts.
Your Coordinating Team should nominate two volunteers who can delete emails from your group inbox when they are no longer needed.
MS Society email includes a secure storage space where you can keep documents like team meeting notes, service level agreements and risk management paperwork.
All volunteers on your team with access to MS Society email can view and edit shared documents.
MS Society email also includes a group calendar that enables you to schedule team meetings and keep track of when your services, activities and events are due to take place. You can add agendas to meetings and set reminders so no-one forgets what’s coming up.
Microsoft Office applications
MS Society email is hosted by Microsoft, which means your MS Society email account gives you online access to applications like Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
This enables you to download contact email addresses from the Portal as an Excel spreadsheet. Simply copy and paste the list into the ‘Bcc’ field of your email and send it.
If you hold one of these roles, we expect you to use MS Society email when you represent us:
- Group Coordinator
- Finance Volunteer
- Administration Volunteer
- Communications Volunteer
- Lead Support Volunteer
- Support Volunteer
Whatever volunteer role you hold, you must also use MS Society email when you represent us if:
- your volunteer role involves handling personal data by email
- your volunteer role involves communicating with external organisations or people by email on our behalf
If you are a Coordinating Team member who doesn’t meet either of these criteria, you may still request an MS Society email address.
If your group offers MS Support, you also have an MS Support email address.
Only trained Lead/Support Volunteers can access and respond to enquiries sent to your MS Support email address.
- Find out more about Offering MS Support
We’ve put together a set of resources to support your group to use our new, upgraded MS Society email.
Our User Guide covers who needs to use MS Society email, why and when to use it, data protection, and how to make changes to your group of MS Society email users.
We recommend that you read this guide before submitting your upgrade request.
- Download our MS Society Email User Guide
Our Technical Guide includes everything you need to get started and make the most of MS Society email.
We're working on this guide now. Part B - coming soon
Part A: Set up and troubleshooting
- A1: Getting started
- A2: Setting up a mobile device
- A3: Self service password reset
- A4: What if I forget my password?
Part B: MS Society email functions
- B1: Communicating by email coming soon
- B2: Document storage coming soon
- B3: Group calendar coming soon
- B4: Microsoft Office applications coming soon
MS Society email is a secure system for receiving and storing people’s personal information that helps us to protect their rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Under the GDPR, there are specific rules for dealing with emails. You must follow these rules whenever you send, receive and store email communications on our behalf.
- See our Email rules
1. Complete your group’s upgrade form
You will need to let us know:
- Your group name
- The main contact person for the upgrade, and their email address
- The names of volunteers requesting an email account
- Their volunteer roles
- If any of your Support Volunteers should also be added to the main group inbox
- Which two volunteers you would like to have permissions to delete emails from your shared folder
- Complete your group’s MS Society email upgrade form
2. Ensure everyone completes GDPR training
- Any volunteers who have not completed our Data protection for GDPR eLearning will be sent a link to do so as soon as possible
- Your individual log ins will be set up when everyone has completed the online training
- Find out more about Data protection for GDPR eLearning
3. Receive your log ins and guidance
- You will have two weeks to test out your upgrade
- If you have any problems during this time, support is available from firstname.lastname@example.org
- At the end of two weeks, your account will be automatically upgraded
4. Your upgraded account is ready to use
- You will have access to view your old email account for a further six months, but you will not be able to send or receive emails from it.
Supporter Care Team
Our Supporter Care Team is your key source of support when using MS Society email. Contact us if you can’t find the answer to your question in our MS Society email resources.
- Get contact details for our Supporter Care Team
Reporting a data breach
A ‘data breach’ is any situation where personal data is made insecure.
You must speak to our Data Governance Team to report any potential data breach immediately. We are required to inform the Information Commissioner’s Office of a breach within 72 hours of any volunteer or member of staff becoming aware of it.
- Get contact details for our Data Governance Team
Reporting a lost or stolen mobile device
As soon as you become aware that your device is missing, contact IT Lab, our IT support service, to inform them. They will initiate a partial wipe to remove all MS Society data and reset your MS Society email password with you.
- Get contact details for IT Lab
Back to Online tools